850-894-0152 click to call

Frequently Asked Questions Videos

What does tenants in common mean?

Video Transcription:

Tenants in common is the way a piece of property is owned by one or more individuals. Each individual owns an interest in that property that is there’s and upon their death their interest passes in accordance with their estate plan.

What does transfer for less than fair market value mean?

Video Transcription:

A transfer for less than fair market value is when you either give your property away, meaning you give your house to your child and they don’t pay you back. When you make a transfer for less than fair market value, you are transferring an asset and receiving less than it’s fair market value in return.

What if I do not want to go to a nursing home? Are there ways to get services brought into the home?

Video Transcription:

You do not have to go to a nursing home to receive long-term care services. Most services are provided to individuals in their home by family members who do it for free or nominal payment. There are also state agencies that will provide certain services to classes of individuals in their home. There are also private pay organizations such as home health organizations and companion care services that you can pay on an hourly basis to provide you service.

What if I think that the guardian is doing something wrong?

Video Transcription:

If you believe a guardian is doing something wrong there are a couple of things you can do. First, you can notify the court. This can be done by a letter sent to the clerk and filed in the court proceeding. The next is to call an Adult Protective Service Agency in your state if you believe that the ward is in danger. Finally, if you believe that it is an emergency and a guardian is physically harming a ward you can dial 9-1-1 and report the actions.