Twyla Sketchley, B.C.S., Attorney
Twyla Sketchley is a Florida Bar Board Certified Elder Law Attorney. She is licensed to practice law in Montana and Florida and founded The Sketchley Law Firm, P.A. in Tallahassee in 2002. Ms. Sketchley’s practice focuses on elder law, guardianship, fiduciary representation, and elder law related litigation. She is a past Chair of the Elder Law Section of the Florida Bar and a past President of the Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys (AFELA). In 2016, she founded The Sketchley Method, the nation’s leading resource on the prevention of the maltreatment of elders and people with disabilities.
In addition to being an active member of the Florida Bar and its Sections, the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Florida Association for Women Lawyers, and the Montana Bar, Ms. Sketchley is active in her community. She works with statewide organizations that work to develop laws and rules that improve the lives of elders. She is a frequent speaker to community organizations regarding elder law issues. She speaks to national organization about elder law, caregiving, and exploitation. She writes regularly on elder law and guardianship and has been accepted by Florida courts as an expert in guardianship issues. She has also served as a court monitor in Florida guardianship cases to investigate and report to the court on issues involving court-appointed guardians.
Ms. Sketchley has received special training in Florida circuit civil mediation, Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders (SHINE), and Yoga. In her spare time, she gardens, sews, visits National Parks with her husband, and spends time with her family.
Honors & Awards
- 2011-2020 Florida Super Lawyer
- 2010-2020 Florida’s Legal Elite
- 2009, 2017 Florida Bar Elder Law Section Charlotte Brayer Award (Public Service)
- 2016 Woman of Distinction in Law Award, Girl Scout Council of the Florida Panhandle
- 2011 Florida Association for Women Lawyers Leaders In The Law
- 2014 Richard W. Ervin Equal Justice Award
- 2014 National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys Florida Chapter Member of the Year
- 2009, 2010 Florida Super Lawyer Rising Star
- 2009 Florida Bar President’s Pro Bono Service Award, Second Judicial Circuit
- 2009 Guardian Angel Award, Office of Public Guardian, Inc.
- Distinguished Woman Award, Smith-Williams Service Center Foundation (October 2008)
- Professionalism Works Award Honoree, The Florida Bar’s Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism (July 2008).
- Nominee, Elder Rights Advocacy Hall of Fame, 2008, The National Association of Legal Service Developers
- Outstanding Legal Services Award, Office of Public Guardian, Inc. (2005)
Stormy Sketchley, Head Purr-a-Legal
Stormy Sketchley is the firm’s Head Purr-a-Legal. He joined the law firm in May 2018 at just eight weeks old after learning the hard knocks of life in the storm drains of SouthWood. Since joining the firm, he has initiated a unique happiness program for firm clients and staff. He is also responsible for a regular feature on the firm’s social media called “Tip of the Day From Our Head Purr-a-legal”.
Marisa Stidam, Paralegal
Marisa is a Paralegal that has been with The Sketchley Law Firm since July of 2018. Marisa handles much of the firm’s Guardianship and Medicaid cases. She is a recent honor’s graduate of Tallahassee Community College with an Associate’s Degree in Paralegal and Intro to Legal. She is a married mother of three and is active in the community. Marisa Volunteers with Guardian Ad Litem of the Second Judicial Circuit, and enjoys spending time with her children, and bonus children. She has been active in the senior community for nearly ten years, by providing in home health care, and volunteering with the Alzheimer’s project.